CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The City Smells Like Someone Just Got Shot in the Ass

I'm one of those odd birds that is an emphatic city dweller. When I first moved here four years ago, the city was in the early stages of revitalization. This city was in desperate need of a makeover and it was finally starting to break out some mascara.

I think it's absolutely true that in order for the city to improve, we need residents that care about and care for our neighborhoods. Maybe I feel like I should shoulder this burden myself because I decided about six months ago that Benton Park was getting to be a little too nice for my tastes. So, I packed up and moved into a freshly rehabbed apartment in the "trendy" Grove neighborhood. It has definite perks ... don't get me wrong. Super restaurants that are getting more plentiful by the ... well ... every few months, anyway. Manchester Ave. boasts a roster of bars that could arguably rival Washington Ave.

However ...

Tonight, as I was sitting on my couch minding my own business, being a good and quiet Grove neighbor, the four horsemen of the Apocalypse come riding onto my street in the form of no fewer than 30 police cars -- sirens blazing, tires squealing. The cause? Apparently a policeman was forced to shoot some little "gang banger" (as a neighbor called him) in the ass because he was doing something stupid.

St. Louis Police Officer Shoots Fleeing Suspect
Last Edited: Wednesday, 11 Jun 2008, 11:01 PM CDT
Created: Wednesday, 11 Jun 2008, 11:01 PM CDT

(KTVI - myFOXstl.com) -- The St. Louis Police Department Homicide Division is investigating a police officer involved shooting. The incident happened Wednesday night around 10 pm. Police were apparently attempting to arrest a suspect in the 43-hundred block of Gibson near Manchester when the suspect fled. The suspect was shot in the buttocks. The wound is not believed to be life threatening. A gun believed to belong to the suspect was recovered at the crime scene.

This isn't the first shooting in this neighborhood since I've moved here. I'm beginning to question my motives.

P.S. If someone from the St. Louis Police Department happens to be reading this, can you please take care of the building alarm that has been going off since 7:30 across the street? It's keeping me awake. (Sheesh ... I feel like I'm Forrest Gump in Watergate).

UPDATE: More on the shooting here. Apparently, it was drug related. Lovely. I can't wait to buy a house. In another neighborhood.

1 comments:

homeontheburrow said...

Make Brooklyn look positively safe and boring....