CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Rock the Vote

I got my tired arse out of bed this morning at 5:15 to make it over to my polling place by 5:30. Thinking that I'd only have to wait in a very short line to make it into the building like normal, I was floored by what I saw. The line was around the block.

Normally, at my polling place, they only open up half the gym because voter turnout is so sparse, they don't need the whole thing. For the gym to be full of voters with a line snaking out the building, down the street and around the block was truly inspiring and made me feel even more hopeful about the outcome of this election.

I've heard some people complain about how all of a sudden young people want to get involved ... how people who never cared before all of a sudden want to have a voice. I see no error in that. Perhaps, if you put yourself into someone else's shoes, you'd see that until now, it's very likely that these people didn't have a candidate they felt truly represented them. They didn't feel like their voice counted. That no one was listening to them. In a word, they felt defeated. It's a very different view from the other side.

But now, people are inspired to be a part of the process and speak up. That's the foundation this country was built on. I feel that over the past 8 years the citizens of this country had their voice taken away from them. Now they want to band together to take it back. That's nothing to be upset about. That's Democracy and it's a beautiful thing.

0 comments: