CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Top Night!


Wow. Last night was incredible. I am euphoric. I'm once again inspired at the power of the people of this country to come together and speak out for change. And I'm equally inspired by the journey Barack Obama has taken on the road to the White House. Dare I say it, I'm actually proud to live in this country once again.

Sure, there are some things that didn't play out the way I would have liked:

I'm sad that Prop. 8 won in California. But the fact that Obama won this election gives me hope that, in the future, our country will vote to allow all Americans the right to marry.

I'm sad, but certainly not completely shocked, that Missouri went red in the morning hours. But I'm proud of my city ... nearly 85% of the population turned up to vote for Obama. Lines were long and people waited anyways. Democracy salutes you.

And I was pleasantly surprised by Sen. McCain's graciousness in his concession speech, even whilst his supporters continued to boo Obama, he spoke eloquently and showed the backbone of a true leader. I do think that McCain is a great American. I don't agree with most of his policies. I didn't want him as my President. But I do think that he is a smart man who has lived his life in service of this country and I think that's a great thing.

When Obama finally came on to give his victory speech, I felt so much pride that I thought my heart might burst. I feel renewed hope for this country, something I wasn't sure that I would ever feel again. Obama said it best last night:

"This is our time, to put our people back to work and open doors of opportunity for our kids; to restore prosperity and promote the cause of peace; to reclaim the American dream and reaffirm that fundamental truth, that, out of many, we are one; that while we breathe, we hope. And where we are met with cynicism and doubts and those who tell us that we can't, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a people: Yes, we can."


Photo taken from BBC News.